By Mariola Hinton LL.M. PGDip. 22 February 2017
Life Management by Time Management
Thomas Edison said Time is really the only capital that any human being has, and the only thing he can’t afford to lose. Managing time is an essential skill to complete a given task without stress, as it is also considered as a key to success. It is process of organizing how to divide your time between specific activities. Time is a special resource that cannot be stored for later use; if you don’t use it wisely, you may miss several golden opportunities arising. In today’s world, many successful leaders and businessmen quoted that their success depends on good time management skills. Michael S. Traylor stated “If it weren’t for the last minute, a lot of things wouldn’t get done.” We have to remember, that time management reduces stress, therefore you can become more productive by correct implementation of these useful tips. It’s all about setting up your priorities.
Failure to manage your time can have some consequences as given:
- Missed deadlines and unable to complete work on time
- Poor work Quality
- Higher stress levels affect your health
- A poor reputation in front of your boss or other person and possibly a stalled career
Here are some ways to overcome such issues:
- Create a daily plan– You should make a plan chart for a day to complete certain tasks
- Set your own deadlines– Peg a time limit to each task
- Limit Distractions– Every individual has their own style of working for e.g. if you can’t concentrate on a task while music is on, switch it off
- Take a break if necessary-Sometimes we need a moment of clarity and relax to clear our overworked minds
- Use an Organiser- Organiser is needed to organise information, projects and other items
- Focus– Don’t waste your time on the unimportant details and close off all the tabs/apps that you are not using
- Prioritise your work– You should learn to prioritise the important work and let go of the rest as you can’t do everything at the same time
- Group similar tasks together-For related work, you should batch them together so that similar work will take less time
- Keep yourself away from time wasters-Keep yourself away from all social media for a certain period of time while you are working (unless you use these tools to generate business for the work that you are given)
- Divide and complete tasks in parts- Divide the whole work into parts or small tasks along with time division.
The highest achievers manage their time exceptionally well, by using such techniques mentioned above. Management of time is important for both personal life and career success, as well as entrepreneurship. All time management begins with planning, so plan well and implement it. The way that you spend your time determines the quality of your life. Make sure you manage your time wisely.
The bad news is time flies, the good news is you are the pilot.